Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Turning Experience

So I used to think that having a blog would be really lame and no one would read it, but today made me think that I have people at home who might appreciate to know what I'm going through here in Sweden.

It started with a 6 AM wakeup from my clock, followed by half an hour of avoiding getting up for the day. At 7 I needed to be out and heading to breakfast as my classes started at 7 30. I'm used to not knowing fully what is going on now, and I usually can understand what will happen through context, but today I was standing in line (and I didn't realize I was standing in line until it started moving in one direction) because someone was doing "blåsigt". To me that meant that they were going to blow the isles so that it was clean, soon did I discover they were doing alcohol breathalyzer tests on us... at 7 30 AM on a Tuesday. Just in case we were out partying on Monday night, at school. After this, and yes mum the alcohol level of my breath was 0.00, my classes started.
Finally my class started, it was my young horse class where we are working with the 3 year olds who were broken in last year. In a few weeks we will be starting with 2 year olds who we will be breaking in ourselves! The 3 year olds we are working with now are just so that they remember how to do everything and so that we learn how to train young horses before we are left on our own. I am working with a super cute little mare named Fay who is really snuggly and is quite spooky. She loves being touched and groomed and petted, but she is scared of most things and I like to show here everything I am going to use/put on her, otherwise she shy's away from it. This went well, we were doing lunging where you have two lunge lines (one on each side of the horse) and they go through the training roller so that it simulates having two reins (if anyone can remember what this is called I would appreciate a comment). After that we got on and Fay did really well and she is coming along great.
Then at 10 AM and I started my second class which was hästkunskap, or horse knowledge, in which we went over the conformation of various horses in the barn. This was interesting for me as we had really detailed cards and I could look at them and compare how we name things in english with how they are named in swedish (we have more interesting names in english).
Riding lesson started at 1, I'm riding a 6 year old mare who hasn't been a school horse for long so is still getting the hang of things. We did jumping today, though we just only 2 ft. I need to work on jumping small fences.
After this I had to help muck out the entire barn and sweep the isles and fill the stalls (they use straw here which I find really annoying to muck out).

Now I'm off to ride a friends horse as she somehow got a concussion walking into a pole, and then I have Friskis och Svettis (basically aerobics) at 7 15 tonight.

This will be my Tuesday (basically) for the rest of the year! Hope this was an interesting read, if you have any questions leave a comment!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Viktoria,
    What a good idea with the blog. I will pass it on to Julia too unless you have done so already.
    It sounds like a fun schoolday. Interesting.
    Ha det så bra och hälsa blåsiga Skåne.
    Kram,
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I had a great time reading your blog and it made me smile. You sound so happy in your writing. Can't wait for more. Love the pic as well. She is super cute! Lots of love, mummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hay! i didn't walk into the post, i feel backwards and hit the back of my head against the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Hey Viks!
    It sounds like your having a great time. I am so envious of all the riding and interesting things that fill your time. I on the other hand, am just waking up for an economics class..woot.

    I am going to be sending you a letter soon when I get the time.

    xoxox
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo sounds exciting!! It would be really neat to take horses in that format.

    ReplyDelete