Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Eventful Day

Hello,
     Today was an eventful say, as most of my tuesdays are. Tuesday is the day that I have the most to do but I finished early today, meaning I squished everything into 3 blocks.
As most tuesdays, we started with stalltjänst (7 30 AM). Stalltjänst (pronounced: stal-shain-st) is stable work, taking the horses out to the paddocks and mucking the stalls in the morning and bringing the horses in and feeding them for the afternoon shift. Today during stalltjänst I got run over by one of the horses I was leading. A man was carrying a ladder and the horse decided that it would be a good idea to run into me instead of around me until I fell over and then stepped on me. I'm fine, but I will have bruises tomorrow and i have some scrapes on my legs.
This is supposed to me a spooking horse

I also had a jumping test today, and it was supposed to be during the last block but my teachers decided that it would be a good idea to do it during my Unghäst lesson. Straight after stalltjänst I went up to skolstallet and got Ruzzin ready and off we went (9:15 AM). I did my test at 10:00 and it went well. We jumped 90 cm, or 3 ft. It was nice to get some height in jumping as in Canada I was jumping 3ft6 and 3ft9 weekly. Ruzzin is not an adjustable horse and she needs to go forward in jumping otherwise she tends to chip into the jumps. This also means that when we get a long distance into a jump and she is going really forward it is hard to get her to shorten her step and get back quickly. There were two lines in the course, a 7-stride and a 6-stride. In those lines we got 6 and 5...

Next lesson was Unghäst (young horse) on Jasmin (10 45 AM). We rode in the Ny Ridhus (new indoor ring) which was great because Jasmin is the biggest 2 year old and needs lots of space. Normally we ride in the Små Ridhus (I'm guessing you understand small indoor ring) which is 40x20 m. The ny ridhus is 80x30m, so much bigger. Jasmin usually has a hard time going forward because of how small the ring is that we normally in, and I think that she feels a little claustrophobic and like she can't go forward. Today she was going forward and really moving in front of me! There were cones and poles in the ring to challenge the horses as well, we jumped the pole and she tried to go around the cones instead of through them (there were 2 set up close together to go in between). In the end she was sweaty and tired!

After lunch we had ridteori. At the beginning of the year we were assigned topics to write about and present. My topic was the difference between riding in Canada and riding in Sweden. Today I presented. It was a lot of fun, and I spoke swedish. Of course the presentation wasn't only in swedish as my swedish is not that good yet but I tried and the class understood and I got a big applause at the end.

I am starting to really feel a part of this school and feel great about my swedish!!

=D

1 comment:

  1. Viktoria,
    We have been thinking about you a lot over here in North Vancouver. I hope you are well, and take care not to get stepped on by too many horses - that sounds pretty dangerous.
    Love,
    Alistair & familiy

    ReplyDelete