Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Höstlov

Again I haven't been on in a while, since my break. For the past week I have been in Luxembourg, but I also spent some time in Antwerp in Belgium. I now have many photos which if you are a friend of mine on facebook you can see, but I will be posting some photos here. Luxembourg was great, really cool history and architecture. My first day there we went to ride Ida's pony (the friend whose house I was visiting in Luxembourg) who is a 25 year old 13.2hh pony. Here is a photo of her:
Dianne
Cute little pony who is old enough to have her stubborn opinions and stick with them when you are riding.
The next day we went into town and it was really cool, we walked around and did some shopping which was nice. I am starting to have a better wardrobe. All I need are some better tights! Here are some photos with explanations: 
    This photo is of the cathedral of Notre Dame                 This house is built into the rock face, it's really 
                                                                                           cool how many of these you can see in the 
                                                                                           valley!
This is a photo of one of the streets in Luxembourg
My friend Ida is the one in the Bollerup jacket,
 it is one that I am also getting once the packages get here

The next day Ida's uncle came to visit her family for a day and he was from Bruxelles which really helped me the next day, but back to Sunday. As Ida and I went out on Saturday night, fun to see the town at night, we stayed at her friends place. We quickly went home before heading off to Ida's brothers hockey game. His team won 3-0 against the other team. On the way home we went for a drive across the border into France, so I was in France for about 5 minutes that day as well. After this Ida's mum thought that I hadn't done enough touristing, which I agreed with so we went to the American World War 2 Memorial. Here are some photos:
This is what you see when you first walk in, unfortunately it was getting dark and my camera did not quite register how beautiful the trees were. The colours on the trees were so vibrant with oranges and red! Here is what it says on the side: "In proud remembrance of the achievements of her sons and in humble tribute to their sacrifices this memorial has been erected by the United States of America."
These are the crosses of the soldiers. There is one cross for every soldier buried in the cemetery, each one with their name and placement in the army as well as the day that they died. This memorial has 3000 soldiers compared to the 17000 that they started with, the soldiers not buried there were brought home by their families. The crosses are arranged to all lead to General Patton who was extremely dedicated to his men during the war.

As I have mentioned I went to Antwerp. I got a ride with Ida's uncle up to Bruxelles so that it would be cheaper to take the train. I arrived in Antwerpen on Monday at 5 PM. I visited my Aunt Charlotte at her home in Antwerp. There were so many great photos that I took those few days that I was there but I'll put up some street views and a few others:

This is a very traditional Antwerpen street, with all the little balconies
This is a photo of the Cathedral in Antwerp

More Photos are on facebook, I couldn't decide which other I would put up here 
because I took over 80 photos in Antwerp
After a few great days of touristing (and of course a little shopping) I headed back to Luxembourg on the train. I arrived back on Thursday at 5 PM and we went straight home for dinner. On friday we had a pretty relaxing morning and then Ida and I went to a movie, Due Date, with a couple of her friends. We had dinner at her friend, Elise, house for dinner and then had another night out on the town. We were at Elise's house until about 11 the next day. Ida's mum's birthday is this coming Saturday but as Ida was home last week they decided that they would celebrate her birthday while Ida was home. Again we felt that I needed more touristing so we decided that I should go to my fourth country that week and went into Germany. We went to a city called Triers and here are a few photos from that adventure:
There were so many cool buildings, I think that in Germany I saw the 
most varied and interesting architecture that I had seen all week.
Here is the oldest building I saw, the Porta Nigra, which I need to do a little more 
research on to give more information on it but it was old and interesting.

Thus ends my week, again all the photos are on facebook which you can see if you are a friend of mine. I had a great time, hope it was fun to read and I will be updating again regularly as I am starting with the 2 1/2 year olds this week!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment